December 9, 2010

What makes my heart SUPER happy...

Christmas cards!



Oh that's right, baby! Growing up, it was always so exciting to receive them in the mail and set them up on the mantel or across the top of the television... it was like getting little handwritten presents from the people you know, but don't rate high enough on their list to get actual presents. Since I was always convinced that presents were for kids, parents and grandparents anyway, I never minded (everyone else gets baked goods or Christmas cards, right?). I am certain that I am [insert cheapie random card company]'s favorite consumer! For some reason, it's so gratifying to sit with a list and write these puppies out.

I ordered photo cards of my boys this year for my family and close friends (um, of course I would, right?) and when addressing them, there was a slight sadness that emanated from the thought that I had not actually signed any of the cards personally.

But there was saving grace still yet to be had! While I figured my clients wouldn't want a picture of my kids, I thought they might appreciate a card so I've been happily signing and addressing cards half the day!

There's just something magical about stationery and handwritten notes. So much of our lives are electronic now - count the number of actual paper birthday cards you get compared to e-cards and facebook messages! - that when I receive a tangible, beautiful letter, it just lights a tiny little fire in my soul. I'm obsessed with love letters especially. Love letters like from back in the day, you know; love letters that have been composed in draft after draft first, then written and rewritten painstakingly to perfection. Then sprayed with perfume, just a small waft (to entice, not repulse) and sealed with an actual kiss. THOSE kinds of letters. On beautiful, clean, crisp paper. Oh my heavens... my heart is all aflutter.

If you have a million extra minutes one day (or a cumulative million over a long period of time) you should check out this website. I found it to be a most interesting project and have many times over considered starting something like it too. Maybe with photograph postcards bearing my own work.

That would be pretty damn awesome.

Visit! Sleeptrip - 300 love letters

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Samantha Renn | Arms Up Photography . Powered by Blogger.